Friday, September 19, 2008

Years


These are the roses Bruce gave me for our 7th anniversary on Wednesday. We went out for a very nice dinner and then shared a split of champagne when we got home--my contribution to the celebration. When I asked Bruce if he had any symptoms of the "7-year itch" he didn't even know what it was so I guess the answer was no. :-) (Me either, BTW!)

I planned to wax philosophical about those seven years but my niece has reminded me of something that I try to remember--and too often forget: I'm very happy with what I have. What I don't have will take care of itself and I don't have to spend any of my energy on it.

I have:
  • a loving husband (funny, gentlemanly, protective and caring)
  • two unbelievably beautiful and talented daughters who love me (and I don't have to put "I think" after that)
  • two sons-in-law who adore their wives and whom I love truly as sons (and I didn't have to go through the scary growing-up part!)
  • one perfect grandchild with another equally perfect one under construction
  • a snug, comfortable lovely home in one of the most beautiful parts of the country
  • an income that lets me live as comfortably as I want to
  • a good life
I'll take another 7+ years of the same. Happy anniversary to us.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Carla, I love you and Bruce! I am so happy the two of you found each other. Happy anniversary! And this may sound strange, but I'm also thankful for everything that happened before you and Bruce became "you and Bruce" because it has given you courage, wisdom, and compassion that in turn helped me when I needed it most. Much, much love to you both.