Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Downpour


It rained amazingly hard here last evening--looks like we got 2" in about an hour! And I didn't see or hear most of it, including apparently walloppingly loud thunder with lightning (Bruce said there was one where the flash and bang were absolutely simultaneous) because I was reading at the TV station in a studio that is obviously soundproof! The storm knocked the local NBC station off the air, ironically during the weather report. :) Bruce said that our front lawn was under water, something he had never seen in his 43 years in this house. WOW. But our basement stayed dry. I guess there was a small puddle below the take-out door to the chimney/fireplace because the rain had been driven down the chimney, and we have a cap on it to keep out critters! I didn't see any major damage on my walk this morning but there was a helicopter that I think was NYSEG's (NYS Elec. & Gas) checking the power lines for downed trees. I'm thinking our ground is now so totally saturated that any kind of wind will start pushing trees over because their roots are basically in mud. And because it's heating up outside right now, there will probably be thunderstorms later today. (I took this photo today; it's actually clouds across the lake where it's probably raining like crazy somewhere in VT.)

But as I sit here looking out my window, my garden is pretty ... and lush! Probably more greenery than usual but the flowers haven't done too badly, considering that during the months of June & July they were severely sun-deprived. I just wish there would be a few of the really pretty ones in flower next week when my daughters are here. Oh, well, if wishes were horses ....

No comments: