Saturday, August 22, 2009

Visit

It was terrific to see both of my great daughters and then my two adorable granddaughters in one visit. I'm sure it was hectic for Emily--I remember doing those visits all summer long, schlepping all the STUFF that little kids need. The fact that Jenny was there to help with boarding and exiting the planes must have been a huge positive factor. I'm so glad that worked out for them both.

And the babies? What can I say. I'm sure that everyone who reads this blog has already seen the photos on my Facebook page (but I'll put one or two here anyway :P !) so you all know how really gorgeous those girls are. And if they're pretty to you, just think of how incredibly beautiful a doting Mimi thinks they are! They're as different as day and night, at least so far, much like my two were. And Emily is sick to death of my comparisons to her childhood but the similarities are inescapable for me. Kaitlyn is super-energetic, on the go all the time, and as bright as any smart little two-year-old can possibly be.


Her command of language is great and conversations with her are really fun. She's constantly adding words and expressions to her vocabulary, and her body language, when she imitates her mom especially, is a hoot!

Courtney is just so happy to be alive. She wakes up this way: open eyes, smile.


She's a terrifically engaged baby, intensely interacting with whatever it is that's interested her--the nearest person, her hanging toys, the toy she's working towards when she's on her tummy, whatever. When you talk to her, she's right there. She would be the perfect baby to star in a remake of "Look Who's Talking." You can actually see her thinking up her response ... and sometimes getting frustrated that she can't say the words! But a non-fusser for the most part.

The weather was horrible during their visit: 80s-90 with accompanying humidity, and of course few homes in the North Country have air conditioning, mine or their dad's included. AND to add insult to injury, he filled in his swimming pool last year! Of course it was the adults who were affected; the little kids just took it in stride. We just had to go to the park in the a.m. before the equipment got too hot to play on ... and then had to take a towel on the 2d morning because we had to wipe off the dew. The slides looked like they'd been under sprinklers.

My girls got to see some friends but I'm appreciative of the fact that this visit was more about family than friends. I wish I could have a photo or two of the three of us but that was just lost in the shuffle.



It was so nice, just so nice to have them both here at the same time, given that they're so far apart from each other and from me and Bruce. (And both little girls loved Bruce. He wasn't quite sure how to take that and I bonked him on the head--not really--and said they were his granddaughters too because he's married to me!) I'm not sure we'll have the chance for any more visits of this kind but I'd love to have the girls' spouses with them the next time. Maybe when I'm old and (ALL) gray!

And after everything was returned to the people we borrowed things from, and all the things we're keeping are stored away--tub toys, chalkboard, tiny table & chairs, I walked into my bedroom and saw this forlorn binky on my dresser. So I know they were here......

1 comment:

Pi said...

THAT'S where that binkie is!! Just kidding. We have 50 thousand of them. =)