Thursday, April 9, 2009

Personal Trainer

I have a personal trainer. I've been to two, yes, two sessions at the college's Fitness Center and its director is my personal trainer. He's developed a series of exercises for strength training that combine use of the machines (I'm not a fan of doing nothing but) and free weights. So my quads are crying for mercy and my back is "stiff." Bruce would say that rather than "sore." Take your pick.

There are way too many mirrors in that place, IMHO. I realize that when you're 20 and in shape, it's fun to watch your lithe and lithic body (lithic doesn't fit here in meaning but it sounds so good--I stole the phrase from a poem by John Updike, I think) go through its paces. But when you're a 60 year old pudgy wuss, it's not nearly as much fun. My muffin top is at souffle proportions now so mirrors are definitely not my friends. But I have a very simple goal: to go three times per week, faithfully, until the end of the semester. That's about 5 weeks. Then I'll look at Summer Session. I have no physical goals other than to work at keeping osteoporosis at bay. I'll have a bone scan soon to see if my osteopenia has advanced or abated. Wanting to score particular measurements is so self-defeating I can't contemplate it. So I'll just go for strength. We all need more of that, right?

The cost for the training is unbelievable. I pay $80 per semester. Period. No extra for personal training time. My sister is sooo jealous! I'll probably have Matt for 1-2 more visits and then a student trainer. That's fine with me. I told Matt I need someone I'd have to call if I weren't coming, a sort of personal shamer.

So maybe someday I'll post a photo of me with Michelle-Obama arms. How patient are you?

1 comment:

Jane said...

Way to go!! I'm jealous of the low price too. You'll feel better and start looking better right away. Don't let those young ladies intimidate you. They go there to pick up dumb jocks. Tell them to eat a steak and choke on it ;).