Friday, April 17, 2009

1-1/2 Martinis

I try to have no more than two martinis. I found a pkg. of cocktail napkins in an airport mall store that had this poem:

Martinis are my favorite drink
But always two at most.
Three, I'm under the table.
Four, I'm under the host.

I am so mad that I didn't buy the packet. Oh dumb.

Because the verse is supposedly by Dorothy Parker, one of my heroes. She was the only female member (I believe) of the famed "Algonquin Table" of writers who met frequently (daily? weekly?) for drinks, and more drinks, at the Algonquin Table in ... some famous hotel in NYC in the '30s. She's credited with "Men don't make passes at girls who wear glasses" and a few other witticisms but I read her biography and like many comics, Dorothy was chronically depressed. But she still helped to write, and maybe even shared credit for, the screenplays of several very witty 30s-40s movies. But I do love that martini poem best of all.

So I'm off to finish my 2nd martini. Bruce is in Massachusetts and I've done all my duties with our dog--cuddling before her bedtime, etc. It's much like having a neurotic child, believe me.

I'm hoping for rain tomorrow, whether or not it's warm. We've had high fire warning messages for the last couple of days and I'd like those to go away, especially since I've heard our town's fire siren going off more frequently than usual recently. (This may well be because of the moron North Country idjits who insist on burning off their ditch grass regardless of the fact all the snow has been gone for awhile and we've had no rain. Duh.)

I hope you're having (or have had--it's 11:40 my time) a great Friday night. Today has been a much better day for me.

Ciao.

No comments: