Sunday, May 3, 2009

Back Home

I'm home from a week in Texas, where I helped to pack up the house of my step-daughter. Actually she sold her 63-acre ranch, the Dunbar Rose Ranch (I don't think that's its whole title but close).
It's a beautiful place with many roses ... and jasmine and spice bush and palms and philodendrons and ... And horses. She actually turned it into a working horse ranch where she kept her 8? 9? 10? polo ponies.
Because yes, she was a polo player. She says she's sworn it off and is moving to learning to jump. Oh good. From one dangerous sport to a perhaps more dangerous sport.

Here's an idea of what it looks like--I took these photos in 2007, just after she'd bought the place.



Meanwhile, the ranch was simply too much for one person to handle. Make that one woman who has a more-than-full-time job as an attorney expected to work 60-80 hour weeks. And who played polo as well as taking care of all those horses. Horses, I've learned, are like valuable, fragile and wrong-headed puppies who'll hurt themselves on a daily basis if left to their own devices for more than, oh, about 26 seconds. Luckily I'm far too old to be bitten by the horse bug now. I find them beautiful and sensitive and thoroughly someone else's responsibility!

I'm writing now because I'm just back and a little too wound up to sleep, but I'm starting to wind down so I'll sign off for tonight, but will try to be back very soon to talk about where said stepchild has moved to. It's amazing.

No comments: