Monday, May 4, 2009

Kleibers in Texas

I went to a neat steak house in the teeny burg of Winchester, TX, on Friday night to celebrate the closing of Lana's home sale. The place was recommended by the guy who came to clean the carpets; he said he always made sure to take visitors there. The building had been something like a general store--a facade like you see in cowboy movies--and has been converted to a restaurant, and also houses the Post Office. Take a look: http://www.eatatmurphys.com/ (That door on the left in the picture on Murphy's home page is the Post Office.)

So anyway, there's what I thought was a neat display just inside the door of the restaurant that includes a section of old mail box doors, you know, the kind you have when you pick your mail up at the Post Office. Each one has a name on it. The first one I looked at, pointing at random and saying to Lana, "This is such a neat idea," had the names Tom (Tony? I don't remember) & Pat Kleiber. Well, Kleiber is my maiden name! And I'm from Wisconsin. And Kleiber just isn't as common as, say, Schmidt (or Schmitt or Schmit). So it was a real surprise! I knew there were Kleibers in Texas because when I was there in the '70s, there was an ad for a Kleiber auto dealership on a paper placemat in a restaurant somewhere down there. If I remember right, that restaurant was much closer or in the heavily German area--New Braunfels, et al.--and Winchester is between Austin and Houston. But it was so weird to hit that name on the first mailbox I saw! And then Lana said that that really was the Post Office! So apparently there are Kleibers in Winchester. I wonder if, but doubt that we're related.

But cool, no? And the steaks were pretty good. And the beer was great!

No comments: