Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Just today

I worked my penultimate day at Borders today. I was assigned to the calendar kiosk again today. I just can’t think of the word I want; it wasn’t “assigned,” but rather the word that connotes being banished, because the kiosk is a one-person realm and it is so boring it’s almost beyond belief. Even when the sales are steady, there is no one to talk to in between customers (or in brief asides afterward), so I arrange the calendars and rearrange them and straighten them and ignore them, and work an NYTimes Sunday crossword or double acrostic puzzle. Truly really boring.

But I get to text Jenny, the only person I know who is able to receive/read texts while I’m at work too. And I feel like a teenager when I text, so it’s fun for me. But only one day left means that I probably won’t think to text Jenny during the day. Maybe.

I’m in a great frame of mind tonight and I think it’s because I only have one day left at Borders. I remember it feeling like this last year. It’s pretty wise of myself, I’m thinking, to set Dec. 31 as my end date. I look forward to New Year’s Eve for several reasons as a result!

Which brings me to a whine. Bruce does not like New Year’s Eve. He hates the idea of drunks out on the road and is really negative about the night as a result. I don’t probe too deeply as to why it is such an anathema. But we don’t even go to a friend’s, so why is it such a problem? I gave him a bit of a hassle about this tonight. I usually buy a split of champagne—even on New Year’s Eve he won’t drink more than a swallow or two, and we are already home, for crissakes! I’ll buy the split again this year, but … yippee. Oh, yeah, I should constrain my enthusiasm. You get the point.

So positive things, positive things. Our trip to Florida is not all that far away now. The worst of winter is beginning—the snow today was very wet and heavy but not too deep. And the idea of not being here for the end of the misery is so attractive; I’ll definitely live through the interim!

So I’ll be around. Good night.

2 comments:

Pi said...

Florida, hmm? Hey, *I* know my way around Florida! Maybe we could coordinate. :)

Anonymous said...

Heya i am new on here. I came accross this forum I find It very accommodating and it's helped me tons. I should be able to give something back & help others like its helped me.

Thank's, Catch You Later.