Thursday, December 24, 2009

New computer

Well Merry Christmas to myself. I just got a new computer, a big, heavy laptop that has not too many bells & whistles. I got it mainly to take to Florida in March and therefore I got one big enough for Bruce to use. He says he doesn’t plan to go online at all while we’re in the Sunshine State, but he’s so used to spending pretty much his whole morning at the computer: on his “board” (an amazingly active bulletin board for fly rod fanatics) and eBay. I spend far less time connected than he does!

So this is a Dell Inspiron 1750. I wanted a 1720 but they were unavailable … anywhere, even at Dell. This cost the same and has a bigger screen. Nice for the graphics quality but it makes for a BIG laptop! It also has Windows 7 which seems, so far at least, to be an actual improvement to XP. This blog, for example, is one of the options on the dock (yes, it copied that from the Mac), which means I may actually write here more often.

For those who suggested I get a Mac, you’re probably right. But the one program I hope to use portably is my editing program for the audio tapes I make for the vision impaired. I would have had to buy the entire program in a Mac version and even then my tapes would probably not be compatible with those at the recording studio, which is all pc. So I’m sticking with Bill (Gates, that is).

I’m not going to write much more. I would like to get into the habit of writing here. And if it remains sporadic, I’d like to get to the less than widely-scattered-sporadic level, whatever that may be. Irregular, maybe?

So Merry Christmas to all who read this. It’s almost 3 p.m. on Christmas Eve. I hope your heart is happy.

1 comment:

Kate said...

Congrats on the new PC. I've been itching to try out Windows 7. And I hope you do blog more; I love your writing. I've enjoyed blogging more about topics than simply journaling.