Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Car Show ... and More

Not a lot is going on around here. My biggest task at the moment is adjusting to being fully retired. This means I'm finished with my textbook revision and I have no presentations, workshops or courses/classes to deal with. I'm pretty sure I'm going to say no to teaching in Fall '07 semester, too. But I haven't absolutely decided on that yet.

I'm getting back into reading for the visually impaired. I'm a novel-reader and am currently working on putting Ordinary Heroes by Scott Turow on "tape." I actually record at the local PBS station where the Center for Independence has a tiny studio. Volunteers go in and read the local paper live there, and others read from magazines, and I and a few others read novels that are serialized. The Readers Radio station (I don't know if that's the official name) broadcasts on very low frequency, I believe, and listeners are those who've self-identified w/the Center to get receivers for the station. (I think.) Anyway, there's not a problem w/copyright because of the fact it's a limited audience, so I can read novels of my choosing. So far I've done Bel Canto by Ann Patchett, and now Turow's book; obviously I'm new at this. I went to record today after a break of about 6 weeks. I'll do a LOT of editing of this tape! And that's something else I do: I take the 30-min. digital tapes I record and make them into 55-min. sessions with an opening synopsis and a break for station ID. That's actually the toughest part; the reading is a breeze. (Well, usually. Today was definitely an exception.)

So other than that I'm trying to learn how to be more receptive to the idea that time has little meaning in my life anymore. (That may not be permanent!) I spent about a half hour watching/listening to barbershop tapes on YouTube today after my brother, a SPEBSSQUA member, mentioned one group. And I had to tell myself that it wasn't time "wasted." It was simply something I was interested in and I pursued it. Neat. And I don't feel guilty, although I had to convince myself of that while I was doing it!

The weekend was fun. Stan was in a car show.


He showed his Audi TT, a very cool car that I love to ride in and love, even more, to drive. I don't get a lot of chances--it IS his toy. But he came in 2d (4 entries) in his class--Foreign Sports Cars--and that was not too shabby (only 2 prizes awarded in that class). So here he is with the trophy.


It might not be too obvious but he was pretty pleased with the outcome. He loves detailing cars and mine is on his agenda. Cheaper than the commercial guys. And waaaay better.

My darling Kyrin is growing and doing very cute stuff. I am so in love with that video of her rattling newspaper. I watch it all the time. While I'd love to be near, I know that her mom & I need some miles, although I'm absolutely dedicated to trying NOT to steer my daughters' lives. My mom was a great role model for that. I know I could live in the same town and not intrude. Since I come from a family that was definitely not "extended," i.e., no relatives within hollering distance--or even easy driving distance in the 50s and 60s--I learned to exist with my mom close by phone any time and for any reason but far way in distance. I think my mom & dad were pioneers in that, in moving away from their nuclear families. It doesn't sound like much, but my mom was from Milwaukee, WI, and my dad from a small town near Green Bay--worlds apart at the time. And then when they chose to leave BOTH their cities of birth, well, the world ended for some relatives, I'm sure. And I'm a product of that, producing children who know no different.

This is all to say that I had an idea in my head of my mom approving or disapproving all my life and I hope my daughters don't have that as well. Their lives are their lives and my opinion means @#$%. Elise & Jane are truly strong women of whom I am VERY proud. I think I could live in the next block and would work my fanny off to not intrude.

So on that militant note,
Good night.

1 comment:

Pi said...

Pedro still talks about his TT. He'll probably get another one someday. By then they'll be 'classic'. Great job to Stan the Man!