Monday, November 24, 2008

Long Day

This is one of the last really long days I'll have--I worked 9:30 - 5:00 and then had Oratorio rehearsal 6:45 - 8:45. The Champlain Valley Oratorio Society is trying to change its name (and image) to the Champlain Valley Voices so that we might attract audience members who like more than Handel, Mozart, Faure and Mahler. We're actually doing some OMG American composers: our Spring concerts for the last two years have been Gershwin and then Kern, Berlin and a few others. This coming spring will hear another "chapter" in the Great American Songbook. I'm not sure if I'll be here for the concert but I'll probably attend rehearsals because I love that music so much.

The rehearsal tonight was for Handel's Messiah, which I haven't sung in an unknown number of years. It's really the only oratorio I halfway enjoy; I'm just not that big on classical vocal or choral music. But I'm participating enough to even be a member of the board! So I'm doing my part. And the Messiah should sound spectacular. We have 90 voices plus a hired orchestra and soloists, 2/4 from NY City. The director is just a dynamo--a Wisconsin native and Packer fan. She's very funny ... and a good conductor. She's also a fabulous pianist, doing a number of shows here there and everywhere.

Gotta go catch CSI:Miami with my sweetie. Nye nye.

No comments: