Monday, December 29, 2008

Not much to say

I want to keep up my dedication to write more often but I find I just don't have much to say ... much of the time. I'll try to improve on that. For now, I have one more day to work at the bookstore and I'm pretty happy about that. I don't think I wrote here that I figured out why I took this job: It was to see if I actually wanted a job. My across-the-road neighbor is my age (maybe 1 yr. older) and retired about 6-9 mos. before I did. She lasted about a year before she took a part-time job at the college in food service. She works half-days, I think, and gets her summers off. But she's very local with her entire family practically within shouting distance so she doesn't travel as much as I do.

I'm finding that even volunteer work means a commitment that, while more easily adjusted than a paid job, is something that you have to try to keep up. My reading for the vision-impaired, for instance, is something that I'm supposed to do every week. I miss about 1 out of 6 weeks and always feel guilty about that. I just realized that I might be gone for 4 successive Tuesdays when I go to FL for grandbaby2's arrival and I'm wondering if I should have a laptop to put my sound-editing program onto so I could sort of keep caught up with the reading. I won't spend $500 (or more) to do that but it has crossed my mind. So keep this in mind, all you young readers: retirement, like old age, ain't for sissies!

The weather is weird: LOTS of wind yesterday and last night, the yard littered with broken branches ... again. Yesterday it got into the 50s, I think, and there are flood worries because of rain and ice jams just north of us; tomorrow it'll be snowing and then pretty cold again. Bruce thinks yesterday was our "January thaw." Oh, I hope not. At least we're not Utah ... or Seattle ... or southern Wisconsin ... or ... ... ...

No comments: