Monday, December 8, 2008

Still here, part deux

So after I finished talking with the trooper, who almost fell again getting INto his patrol car, I got back on the road and drove about a block from the intersection of death to the next intersection of death. (This is literal; there have been fatal accidents at both intersections in the last 10 yrs. Both times they were caused by drivers on the Rand Hill Road running their stop signs and either broadsiding or being broadsided by someone doing 55 mph on NYS 374 or even just 40 mph on NYS Rte. 3 [the latter would have been me]). ANYway, I sat at the stop sign at 374 while a long string of cars made its way slowly up that highway, led by a person driving a red Jeep convertible. She turned left in front of me and started to go past me, only HER wheels had nothing to grip and she continued to pirouette until she hit me in the LEFT rear fender. She was truly crawling and although the crunch sounded disastrous, again my miraculous blue baby didn't get even a scratch in the paint!

However, two bangs like that are two too many for little me. I felt like a pinata! I drove home evereverever so carefully, very grateful for Bruce behind me, and STAYED HOME the rest of the day.

This doesn't compare in danger to the accidents that have befallen my sister in the last couple of weeks: a blown rear tire--while she was talking to me on her cell phone (I've said that it's my familial duty to be the one to hear her death, and I'm truly not joking about that, just really really hoping it doesn't happen)--and an exploding rear passenger window while driving on I94 in Wisconsin. At least we weren't talking when that happened; I would have been the casualty!

I know she won't read this but there was a conversation yesterday on NPR, her favorite radio station, between an NPR reporter and an expert on the neurology involved in "multi-tasking." Turns out we really cannot multi-task. What we do in reality is pay attention to one thing at a time, switching among all the demands on our attention and managing them all worse than when we concentrate on only one thing such as, um, driving. Our brains simply can't do more than one thing at one time. And the PhD who was making this statement specifically addressed driving and cell phone use, saying that our attention is naturally more on the conversation than on the driving. Just as an aside, a trooper told Bruce and me that they're familiar with "cell phone lane-drift." Apparently it looks a lot like inebriated driving but it's really people paying more attention to the phone than to the road.

I've always found it too distracting to talk on the phone and drive. It's one thing to have the person there and carry on a conversation; they see that you have to ignore them to pay attention to traffic. I'm glad to learn that I'm not really working with an under-developed brain!

Okay, okay, I'm off my soap box. I'm going to veg in front of the TV: Chuck, Heroes and CSI:Miami are a 3-hr. no-brain-required evening for me. Yay.

No comments: